Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It’s Fishing Season


by Paulina P., grade 8

It’s fishing season
Sharp hooks are everywhere
As I pass them I hear humans yelling:
“Here comes a fish!”
Well, don’t think I’m a fool
I won’t grab the worm
I know I’m food
But I also know that humans are not here for food
But entertainment

I’m starving
I haven’t found plankton anywhere
Those juicy worms  are really a temptation
But I must resist
To reach salvation

My friends are falling into the humans trick
There goes another one
He gets pulled up quick
What lies above?
Cruelty and death
Not love

Some are put back
Bleeding
Waiting to die
We can’t do anything except say goodbye
I’m sure it’s all a competition
To see whose fish gets put on exhibition

I wonder if I could just get a bit of that worm
Then, I would swim as fast as I can
And the hook wouldn’t catch me

Slowly, I’m getting closer
I grab the worm
And I try to pull and go away
But I can’t
I’m stuck
The hook’s got me
Then I hear, “I got one!”
I’m pulled up and I can’t breathe
I'm suffocating

I see lots of families laughing and having fun
What a great pastime
To kill us, even if they don’t need us
And then they will ask how we became an endangered species
When they are to blame

No comments:

Post a Comment