Saturday, February 6, 2010

sunday thoughts

with crisp sighs
i admire the grace of a falling leaf
the satisfaction of black text filling a white page
the ant pacing in circles across my screen
forgotten favorite tracks from under the table and dreaming
my creaky knees and hips

i wander the neighborhood
lucy trails behind me
some days i greet everyone on the street
"¡buenos dias!" / "¡buenas tardes!"
today i hide behind oversized shades
and purse my lips and stare ahead

my horoscope tells me today is a five star day
for meeting someone new and special
but i am in an antisocial phase
so i go to a cafe and read
alone and content
unnoticed by a gaggle of gay guys
at the next table

read tarot at kat's palace on the hill
high thoughts despite utter sobriety
how strange it is to be living this reality
i hadn't fathomed a year ago
it's easy to get negative
absorb chismes like an IV into the bloodstream
the violencia, the poverty, the corruption
i take a step back
and realize that my guatemalan life is generally
blessed, exquisite, easy, ideal

of course i hope for visitors
no one in my family has a passport yet
everyone expresses interest
but who has the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment