Saturday, February 6, 2010

scrambled eggs and tears




The sky is crying today
Cooling everything off
Covering Austin in a mist of relief
From the steaming concrete

There's nothing like a good thunderstorm
There's no place like home

I am crying too
I am grasping, clutching and then letting go
I have five weeks left here
All it takes is a sad song and some raindrops
And thinking about leaving
This place I love and these people I love
Jumping off into the unknown
(Which will surely be a mind-expanding adventure)

I think of breakfast tacos and night swims and Alamo movies and yoga classes and my cozy little casita
How lucky I am
So close to my dear friends and parents and siblings
The thought of leaving is surreal, and when it hits me, I lose it

I cry with premature nostalgia
It feels good to sob a little though,
To know that I am in touch with my emotions
To mourn the home I have created in this city that I love
And trust that it will be here for me
Upon my eventual return.

No comments:

Post a Comment